Monday, January 15, 2018

Social Media and Friends

    When it comes to social media we use it as a way to connect with different friends. We also see it as a way to show people what we are doing or express ideas. We keep streaks on Snapchat to stay in touch with people or post our best pictures of ourselves on Instagram. But this has created problems. Our mind is set everyday on keeping our streaks and the number of likes we get on Instagram and who likes it determines our worth. We have to have the best people follow us and do things like block who we don't like.
    When it comes to our streaks we make them become way more important then they should be. We always ave to keep them going and the higher the number the better. I personally find them annoying but for some reason I think that because we are friends I should have a streak with them. If I lose it I am actually disappointed even though it is just some dumb number for how many days you Snapchat each other. And even though I realize how streaks are worthless and how much they annoy me, I keep doing them and wanting to build up that number next to my name. Because without them I think that without a streak with that person I will lose touch with them without one because we go to a different school. Or if they lose one they don't care enough. This just shows how the expectations of social media can be so unhealthy for us. 
    On Instagram we focus on who follows and doesn't follow us , how many likes we have, and putting our best self on our Instagram. We always want to follow our friends of course but also all the "best" people. And if we don't like someone we block them as a way to get back at them. If a certain person likes one of our posts we feel  sense of gratification because this certain person recognized us. And the number of likes we get determines our self worth. If we don't get enough we see ourselves as a lesser person because we didn't get the same number as this other person. I personally try not to focus on this stuff but every once in a while I do focus on how many likes I get or who likes my post.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Reflection

    Throughout this unit we have been focusing very closely on a number of things involving Media. And using these blogs has really helped m...